Friday, September 4, 2009

Orientation

I'm ready to begin my life as a graduate student!


Wow... It has been quite an exciting couple of days here at the Accademia dell'Arte! This is the inaugural year for the Master of Fine Arts in Physical Theatre program in which I am a candidate and Graduate Assistant. Yesterday we went over the basics: where things are in the Villa Godiola, rules, Italian culture, etc... of course I already knew a lot of this since I have worked here for the past 4 years.

Today we had met all of our teachers and they spoke about what we will do in class. This semester we will take acting with the great Marcello Bartoli. We will start with neutral mask moving into commedia dell'arte. Voice with the wonderful Kevin Crawford which is all based on the Roy Hart techniques (very interesting; read 'Dark Voices' if you want a better understanding of this Parisian company). Movement with the amazing Claudia Schnürer which encompasses Feldenkreis as well as many circus training techniques. The talented Gianni Bruschi will be teaching our music class focusing mainly on the Tarantella or the Meditteranean musical tradition (southern Italy). Then of course Aesthetics lead by our Founding Director, Scott McGehee, and co-taught by my colleague Michael Grady (check out his short plays; they are hilarious and are being performed in festivals all over the world).

Jesse and I had dinner with the rest of my fellow MFA candidates last night at their house in the Casa di Elide. It was fun and we brought out some really old liquor.

Needless to say I'm pretty excited for my new adventure!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment